Sometimes I write things like “I’m going to make potatoes with charred vegetables” and forget you aren’t right here in my kitchen watching me do it. I forget that I probably do it differently than most people, that I need to slow down and explain important things like how get okra very crispy in the oven.
Here’s what you do:
1. Slice all your okra lengthwise.
2. Preheat your oven to 400.
3. When it’s ready, toss your okra with a big glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4. Arrange okra on an unlined sheet pan cut side-down. That’s the most crucial part: CUT SIDE-DOWN!
5. Roast until the cut side is beginning to show color- the amount of time this takes will depend on how large your okra is, but check after about 10 minutes.
6. Crank up the temperature of your oven to 425 for the last 3-5 minutes of roasting, or until the cut side is deeply golden and the okra is crispy. The pointy ends may curl up and look a touch burned- that’s okay!
P.S. The sauce in the photo above? 1:1 ketchup to chimichurri roja. You gotta try it on some potatoes!